UK

Byron burger death: Owen Carey ‘died after eating buttermilk’

Owen Carey Image copyright Family handout
Image caption Owen Carey was celebrating his 18th birthday when he died

A teenager had a fatal reaction after unwittingly eating buttermilk at burger chain Byron, an inquest has heard.

Owen Carey, who had a dairy allergy, was celebrating his 18th birthday when he collapsed on on 22 April 2017.

Earlier, he ordered skinny grilled chicken at the O2 Arena branch, but the menu contained “no mention” of a marinade, the inquest heard.

Technical manager Aimee Leitner-Hopps said a notice on the menu asked customers to advise staff of allergies.

She also told South London Coroner’s Court all waiting staff underwent allergy training.

‘Very small font’

Clodagh Bradley QC, representing the Carey family, of Crowborough, Sussex, said regulations required allergy information in a restaurant to be clearly visible.

Information on the Byron menu was “at the very bottom, in a really very small font, in black print, on a royal blue background” making it difficult to read, she added.

Ms Leitner-Hopps said: “It’s perfectly legible in my opinion.”

She also said it complied with legal obligations.

When asked by assistant coroner Briony Ballard why it could not be more prominent, she replied: “The expectation is that a customer with an allergy should inform us.”

Ms Bradley QC also said: “The menu makes no mention at all of marinade. It would be very easy for a reader of the menu to think this was a plain grilled chicken breast.”

Ms Leitner-Hopps said: “If you have an allergy you should be asking for information and the team would have provided it.”

The hearing continues.

Source: bbc.co.uk

Tagged

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *